The Opt-to-Quit™ program is designed to support a hospital,
clinic, office practice or program to provide tobacco using patients
with help to stop smoking. The Opt-to-Quit™ program is a policy-driven
system-wide solution for ensuring stop smoking support is offered and
accessible to patients once they leave the health care setting.
Online and Fax-To-Quit referral program
The New York State Smokers’ Quitline offers its Refer-to-Quit program for health care providers to help their patients stop smoking. As a confidential service, we offer coaching and cessation-related services to patients who use tobacco products.
How Refer-to-Quit Works:
Health care providers can refer their tobacco-using patients to the New York State Smokers’ Quitline using the Refer-to-Quit fax referral form
or using our online referral program.
- Refer-to-Quit procedures.
- Patients will receive a follow-up call from a Quit Coach who will provide a stop-smoking or stop-smokeless-tobacco
- Patients will receive a Stop-Smoking or Stop-Smokeless-Tobacco packet in the mail with information tailored to their specific situation and a listing of local stop-smoking programs.
- A sample progress report (feedback form) with information about the patient’s tobacco-use status will be faxed back to the health care provider from the Quitline.
- Patients can be referred to the New York State Smokers’ Quitline as often as needed.
- Patients can call the New York State Smokers’ Quitline as often as needed.
- There is no limit to the number of patients a health care provider may refer.
Services and Information provided by the New York State Smokers’ Quitline:
- Telephone coaching to callers who wish to stop using tobacco or to learn more about the dangers of tobacco use.
- A Website: QuNitY, Your Smoke-Free Community, register here
- Posters and materials for health care providers and community organizations.
- A variety of literature on tobacco use and stop-smoking strategies.
- Quitsite at www.nysmokefree.com containing helpful stop-smoking advice and Internet resources.
- Statewide listing of local stop-smoking programs.
- Statewide listing of local community tobacco control partnerships and contacts.
- Information on and enforcement referrals for the New York State Expanded Clean Indoor Air Act of 2003.
Refer-To-Quit Online We do the rest!
The New York State Smokers’ Quitline Provider Referral Program
Step 1 - Register for the program
The Refer-To-Quit Online program is secure and easy
To register, please email the New York State Smokers' Quitline;
Step 2 - Refer your patients
Sample Refer-To-Quit login
1. Once registered, you will receive log-in information and link to a secure referral portal where you will refer your tobacco-using patients into New York State Smokers’ Quitline services.
Sample Refer-To-Quit Online Screen
2. Referrer completes form with information on tobacco user and verification of consent for the Quitline to contact. (See referral form)
3. Once referral is made, the client receives a call from a Quitline Quit Coach who will provide tailored coaching and screen for NRT eligibility.
4. If the Quit Coach is unable to reach the client by telephone after 5 attempts, a letter is sent encouraging the individual to contact the Quitline for assistance.
5. Eligible clients (regardless of their insurance coverage) are sent a 2‐week supply of NRT (patches) in the mail.